Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kindle - My New Best Book Buddy


I’m excited. I ordered a Kindle, and it’s going to arrive today. Squeee!

I’ve been reading a lot lately; the last batch of books I bought all turned out to be amazing. I’m burning through the last one now - so, perfect timing to start downloading my TBRs onto my shiny new, pweeetty, pweciousss toy. German Kindle-edition books are still a little hard to come by, but since I mostly read in English - who cares?!

What I’m really excited about is trying out the Kindle-feature that reads the story out loud. Maybe I can use it to listen to the stories while driving my two hours to-and-from work every day. That will definitely be cheaper than audio-books, and the selection will be a lot bigger, too. I realize the computer voice is probably flat and very electronic, but I’m definitely going to try it.

I’ll still buy paper-books. That’s a given. Not every book on my wish list is to be had in Kindle-edition (yet), not even the English ones. And I love my over-burdened bookshelves, love adding more weight to their struggling boards. Makes for a wonderful library-vibe. This kept me from going for an e-reader for a long time, but it has so many advantages that finally I caved:

An e-reader saves…
1. Trees (no more paper).
2. The atmosphere (no more carbon dioxide emissions for shipping my books. Though I do realize that powering all the servers on which the ebooks are stored might even out that equation again).
3. My health (no more back aches from lugging at least three books around with me everywhere I go).
4. My sanity (I won’t have to wait for days or weeks before my book-order arrives).

Epic Win all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment