Monday, February 7, 2011

Deadlines

I had a recent, interesting experience concerning deadlines – am still living it, actually. About a week ago I realized there was no way in all the parallel universes that I would be able to meet my deadlines for my master thesis; I had to finish the written work on the same day my professor wanted to hold the required colloquium in which the thesis is presented. And I hadn’t even started on said presentation yet. My time management was shot due to the unforeseen length of time it took me to analyse the collected data.

Suffice it to say, I was as freaked as when I watched The Ring for the first, and only, time (scariest movie I ever did see!). That had me huddling in a corner, shaking all over, too. Except, now, I had no off-button. This is the first time ever - ever - that I've missed a deadline. 


Turned out it wasn't much of a big deal; it was easy pushing back the due date a whole month. But now I know what happens to me when I miss a deadline; when I'm not doing the Dobby-hiding-in-the-corner act, I'm Miss Headless-Chicken, because suddenly my brain was replaced by vacuum and not a coherent thought was to be wrenched out of it. 


It's definitely something to keep in mind, in case I do eventually get published and have to start dealing with deadlines that could actually mean I lose my chance if I don't make them. Which is why I'm going to start practicing working with time schedules. 'Cause practice makes perfect, and right now I still have the chance to practice before I have to put my time management skills to use for real. 


So, from now on, I'm going to set myself "faux" deadlines (faux since there are no real consequences if I miss them just yet). Usually, for me to really get cracking and not dilly-dally about on something, I have to be cutting it close to the deadline. That's when I get really productive and creative (unless, apparently, I actually do end up missing said deadline). So, on Thursday, when my thesis is complete - in accordance with my self-set schedule for finishing it - I will make a time schedule for both the touch-ups I want to do on my finished novel before sending out more queries, and for my current work-in-progress. I'll set myself several deadlines for when I want to be finished with what parts of the story/touch-ups, and then try to stick by them. 


For now, though, it's back to my thesis, or I won't be able to meet my second due date, either.



2 comments:

  1. I don't know what's scarier, watching a horror movie or missing a deadline! That happened to me in my thesis writing too, but the movie was the original Exorcist. I've been doing the same thing you're doing too, with the fake deadlines and everything. I just had my thesis advisor pressure me to get things done so I could feel the real weight of a deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      I've managed to avoid watching The Exorcist to this day. I have a feeling that it is even scarier than The Ring, so it's probably never going to happen.

      Good to hear other people have similar experiences. Your thesis advisor basically acted like an agent or editor. :-)

      Delete