Monday, November 1, 2010

My Ritual for achieving my Writing-Zen


About a month ago, I wrote a post about my zen-zone and trying to find the right ritual to get started with writing for me. Today, a blog post by Allison Winn Scotch made me think about this again, and I realized I already have a ritual, even if it doesn't seem like one at first glance (at least to me).

I need to start writing in bed: sitting with my back against the wall, a pillow on my lap, my laptop on the pillow, a cup of hot tea and some chocolate within reach. I need to be warm and cozy, able to snuggle into comfort - then I'll snuggle right into creativity. 

Of course, I can't sit like that for hours on end and not have back spasms afterwards (not even my rock-climbing enhanced spine of steel can handle that), so I move it to the desk after about an hour. By that time I'm deeply in my writing-zen, though (or I'll never be that day), so that teeny interruption makes no difference. 

And just in case you're wondering: Yes, I'm sitting in bed right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment